Dizziness or loss of balance can be caused by many factors, such as blood pressure, dehydration or more serious problems. Try these tips to help keep you on you feet and identify any potential medical problems.
Do you ever feel dizzy? Lose your balance? There are many reasons dizziness occurs, like high or low blood pressure, medication alteration, middle ear infection or dehydration...
Your doctor may be able to work out the cause, with information from you such as when you experience dizziness, what brings it on, what settles it and how long it lasts. In many cases, dizziness can be treated.
Prevention of dizziness and/or loss of balance:
• Change position slowly. Wait until you are balanced before walking;
• Avoid turning your head quickly or suddenly;
• If you feel dizzy, stop what you are doing and sit down until it passes;
• Drink at least 2 litres of fluid a day unless your doctor has advised you to restrict your fluid intake;
• Be careful when you bend your head back, or look up;
• Avoid climbing ladders or onto chairs if dizziness/loss of balance is an issue.
Seek urgent medical help if dizziness is associated with:
• Pain, pressure, heaviness or tightness in the chest, shoulders, neck, arms, jaw, or back;
• Feeling sick, cold sweats, shortness of breath;
• Numbness or weakness in face, arm or leg;
• Trouble talking, understanding or swallowing;
• Blurred or poor vision in one or both eyes;
• Loss of balance or unexplained falls;
• Confusion or becoming unconscious.
Fall and motion detectors can provide peace of mind knowing that if you do have a fall, you are connected with a reliable 24 hour service. To learn more about preventing falls in the home and personal alarms, call one of our friendly Care Experts on .
Improve vocabulary, realease stress and improve your mental wellbeing by playing some of our fun braingames. ...Read More
Your Best Indoor Garden
In an ideal world, every person should have at least one plant in their home. Plants take care of good ...Read More
Maggie Beer Recipe
It was a long long time ago after a trip to France where I’d bought a bottle of amazing walnut oil. Gabrielle ...Read More
Founded in 1885 by the Sisters of the Little Company of Mary, Calvary is a charitable, not-for-profit, Catholic health care organisation. Our mission is to provide quality, compassionate health care to the most vulnerable, including those reaching the end of their life. We're responsible for over 12,000 staff and volunteers, 15 Public and Private Hospitals, 15 Retirement and Aged Care Facilities and a national network of Community Care Centres.
We look forward to welcoming you into the Calvary community.