Helpful Aged Care Tips

Funding Questions

We know it can be confusing to understand the Home Care Package landscape. From how identify if you are eligible, to navigating the process with the Government and choosing the best provider for your needs. We are here to help. Give us a call if anything below is unclear and you just want somebody to take you through how things work.

Can I use all of this funding for my home care?

Yes, that’s what it is for. Administration fees are automatically removed from your package for your provider to maintain full compliance with government directives and manage your records and care. All providers, including Calvary, charge administration fees.

Do I need to pay anything?

In many situations, the answer is yes. Cavalry waive the basic daily fee for all our clients, however the government requires most people who receive a HCP to pay an Income Tested Fee (ITF) towards their funding. The ITF is determined by the government (Centerlink) and is based off your yearly income and assets. If you are on a full pension and that is your sole source of income, then you do not pay an ITF fee.

If I’m a self-funded retiree can I get a Home Care Package?

Yes. The exact amount of funding you could receive is determined by your assessment. If your needs are considered low level care (HCP 1 or 2) and your income and assets are assessed as high, the co-payment contribution may negate the benefit of funding.

I’m exhausted. How am I going to fill out what I need to get funding?

We understand that it’s a hard time and an often exhausting process to go through, that’s where Calvary can help. We can activate your assessment for you - all you have to do is call our helpful Adviser Team to start the process.

If you have an accountant who knows your assets or you or a family member has filled out a pension application previously, then the information from these may help you at this point of the process.

Why does Calvary hold my funds?

The government does not allow your funds to go to private banking sources, they must be held by an endorsed provider. Calvary is an endorsed provider. We supply the services that you chose for your HCP and manage your funds in alignment with government guidelines.

How do I pay my co-payment fees?

Each month we provide you with a detailed statement outlining your government subsidy and your co-payment fees. It will also display your delivered services and the balance of funds available in your plan.

If there is a gap between your subsidy, fees and the amount of services you have had during the month then this gap becomes the balance you pay to Calvary.

Any unspent money is not lost - it will be carried forward into the following month for you and will accumulate over time. It can be used as a contingency fund which you can use at any time such as during a crisis or to save up for equipment. If you would like to know the balance of your contingency fund, please contact your Case Manager.


Methods of payment.

Calvary offers a variety of payment methods:

Use the Biller Code and the BPay reference number provided on your bill.

Credit/Debit Card
Phone: 1300 272 364

Please mail to:

Calvary Community Care
PO Box 116
Mount Waverley VIC 3149

Direct Debit
Complete a Direct Debit Authority Form and email to
Direct Debit Enquiries: 1300 660 022

Payments are managed through our Head Office as Calvary employees cannot be paid directly.


What if my needs change; like I need more support?

Your HCP package is completely flexible so you can swap and change services if you need different care. We can also advocate with the government on your behalf so your HCP level can increase if you need further support.

In addition to this you always have the option to ‘top-up’ your support with Calvary’s private services at any time, just chat to your Case Manager to arrange this.

How do I know how much money I have in my package from month to month?

Your monthly statement from Calvary lists the full amount of your government subsidy and your co-payment fees. It will also display your delivered services and balance of funds available in your budget. Any unspent money will be carried forward into the following month.

Why do I have to pay administration fees?

Calvary must follow strict guidelines and report to the government monthly on your subsidy. In addition to reporting and management, Calvary offer benefits such as 24-hour nurse-on-call support, case management, care coordination, and quality assurance. The monthly 20% administration fee covers all of this.

What happens if I don’t use my funding?

Not only is it a good idea to maintain regular services once you have been approved for a HCP, it is actually imperative for you to retain it. If you have not been active in using your HCP for over 56 days the government will revoke your subsidy and issue it to another person. If this happens, you will have to start the process from the beginning and apply for a package again.

I’m a very private person. How do you handle my information?

Calvary adheres to the government Privacy Act of 1988, designed to protect your rights with respect to information that can be used to uniquely identify you. On joining Calvary we ensure that you have full literature on your rights and responsibilities plus the ability at any time to lodge any complaints through ourselves and independent state bodies. We respect you rights and take your privacy seriously.

What happens if I’m not home for a scheduled service?

You must provide Calvary with 48 hours’ notice if you are changing a scheduled service. If you are not at home during a scheduled service we follow a set of checks and an emergency plan that has developed with you and your family and/or carers on admission. Our duty of care is to ensure you are safe at all times.

Can a carer receive respite services from my Home Care Package?

Yes. Calvary’s respite services can be used in a number of ways. You might choose in-home respite which means that your carer can take a break while you are being supported at home. Calvary also have out-of-home day centres, overnight and short-term respite facilities, complete with social programs in supportive, warm and friendly environments.

Calvary can also request additional funding for ‘Carer Relief’. This gives carers the opportunity to have a break in paid accommodation while Calvary supports their loved one. Our Care Adviser team can help with any questions relating to this type of subsidy.

If I need a little more support can I top-up with private care from Calvary?

Yes. You can top-up your support with Calvary’s private services at any time. Simply call us and we can arrange additional care for you.

Why is Calvary different from other providers?

For over 130 years Calvary has provided quality care to many Australians. With a health network spanning public and private hospitals, home and community and retirement, our care is personal and individualised for your needs. We build unique and individualised relationships with you, and always respect you and your home. With a diverse range of services built off a long-standing reputation of care, you know you’re in safe hands with Calvary.

Who are Calvary?

Calvary are a non-for-profit, charitable, Catholic based organisation. For over 130 years we have offered quality and respectful health care through hospitals, home and community and retirement. At Calvary we encourage diversity and freedom in all forms of religion and we support and nurture the expression of your beliefs.

Who helps me? Who comes into my home?

Calvary. Our Care Expert Team

Your services are managed by a team of Calvary experts. Calvary’s employees are carefully recruited, thoroughly screened and professionally trained in alignment with our values of hospitality, healing, stewardship and respect. All employees undergo reference checks and receive specialist training.

Your Calvary Home Care Advisers

Our Care Advisers help you through the process of obtaining you Home Care Package subsidy and other funding that can assist you. They are experts in navigating the government system and guiding you through assessments, forms and requests. They have a wealth of information and can help in escalating funding in emergency situations.

Your Calvary Support Workers

Calvary Support Workers are our professional staff that help you in your home. Our skilled Support Workers offer a friendly approachable manner to the atmosphere of your home while working and tending to your needs.

Your Calvary Clinical Team

Calvary’s professional clinical team is made up of Registered Nurses, Enrolled Nurses and Occupational Therapists. This team steps in if you need speciality nursing or care such as returning home from hospital or on-going medical care for chronic illnesses.

Your Calvary Case Manager

A Calvary Case Manager helps coordinate and monitor medications, aids, appointments and extra assistance. Not everyone has a Case Manager as it’s your choice whether you self-manage your care needs or not. If you feel you or your loved one is juggling too many things you can request a Case Manager at any time.

Your Calvary Care Coordinators 

Care Coordinators are the people you call to book-in, change or cancel your services. They coordinate our vast team to ensure the services you’d like are delivered when you would like.

Do I need to fill out any paperwork?

Yes. your approval for your Home Care Package means that there will be a few forms to fill out. The first form is the ‘Aged Care Fees & Income Assessment’ developed by the Department of Human Services (Centrelink). A Calvary Home Care Adviser can help with a printout of this document and any questions you may have about this document.

FORM 1 – Aged Care Fee & Assessment

You DON’T need to fill this form out if you are:

Simply have your pension number available for us

You DO need to fill this form out if you are:

Tip: If you have an accountant who knows your assets or you have filled out a pension that is not means-tested previously then information from these sources may help you with this form.

FORM 2 – Calvary Service Agreement

The second form is a Calvary ‘Service Agreement’ which is a document that is an agreement between yourself and Calvary and outlines our terms and conditions. This document does require a witness for signing, so it’s a good idea to have a family or friend present at the time we meet with you.

How do I get started?

Simply call us our Care Adviser Team on 1300 66 00 22 and we can talk through all your options. We can help you apply for a Home Care package and together we can craft a home care plan that suits you. This is a free, no obligation home visit with a dedicated Calvary Case Manager.

Other topics that may interest you:


Subscribe to the Care Expert Helpful Tips

Independent Living Solutions for the Kitchen

Enjoy cooking in your own home with these independent living products for the kitchen | Kettle Tipper - Jar ...

Calvary Smart Home | An Independent Living Aid Resource Centre

Discover the best in independent living aids to help you live independently for longer in your own home.

Active at Any Age with Opa-Cize

Opa-Cize combines traditional Greek dance moves with a cardio workout for a vibrant fitness class suitable ...