At the invitation of Cardinal Moran, six Sisters of the Little Company of Mary sailed from Naples on the SS Liguria headed for Australia. They braved the tyranny of distance and arrived in Sydney in 1885 to establish Calvary Care.The harsh conditions they encountered upon their arrival did not deter the Sisters. They immediately became involved in caring for the sick, poor and the dying, undertaking home nursing and opening a soup kitchen in inner Sydney.
The Australian Foundation Sisters were very young to undertake their first international mission. However, by 1888, they started to build the foundations of Lewisham Hospital. The Sisters lived their mission of prayer, compassion and presence within their communities.
For over 130 years the Sisters of the Little Company of Many and Calvary have forged a respected reputation in Australia for the provision of high quality, values-based health, community and aged care.
Mark Green, National Director of Mission
“Let us by word and example bring light to those who sit in darkness”
- Venerable Mary Potter